dog dna test

Misha’s Breeds

Misha’s DNA results are in! She’s a first-generation mix, meaning both of her parents are purebred! Just for the fun of it (no prizes for this one), does anyone have a guess of her two breeds? (A real guess-the-breed contest with edible prizes is coming up soon, so this is just a practice run!)

DSCF8210

Contest: Guess Dusty’s Many Breeds!

Well, the DNA My Dog results for Dusty were nothing like we’d expected them to be. He has neither basset hound nor dachshund in him—and we’d thought for sure one of those would be his level 1. As a matter of fact, Dusty had nothing appear as a level 1 (75% or greater). Unlike Cora, he is a true mutt, with five breeds showing up in his DNA! (And, Mom, he’s not even 100% hound, believe it or not!)

Dusty posing in his sweater.

Dusty posing in his sweater.

What I will tell you now is that Dusty is a level 3 (20-36%) beagle. That’s not a huge surprise. But can you guess any of the other four breeds that make up Dusty? If you get even one of them, you could win a prize. (Yes, it’s going to be THAT tough!)

Dusty has one level 2 breed (37-74%), one level 3 breed (beagle, as mentioned above), and three level 4 breeds (10-19%). So, what are your guesses? Add them to the Comments below or email me at threedogs@wordwitlox.com.

If we get any correct answers by Sunday, the winner will get a choice of prize (we’ll go to a draw if there’s more than one correct answer): either a custom hand-knit doggy sweater, like the one Dusty is wearing in the picture, or a donation in his or her name to an animal charity. Keep watching the blog over the next few days. I’ll post hints!

(If you’re unfamiliar with Dusty and want to see better pictures, under “Categories” in the right, click on “Dusty.”)

January 10 hint:

One of Dusty’s breeds is among the twenty most intelligent dogs according to Stanley Coren’s book The Intelligence of Dogs.

January 11 hint:

One of Dusty’s level 4 breeds is another type of hound (one that, to me, doesn’t look like a hound). (This means his hound content, including his level-3 beagle blood, is a maximum of 55%, shocking to us since he really does seem all hound!)

January 12 hint:

I’ll make your final hint a little more helpful. Two of Dusty’s breeds, including his level 2, are long-haired, believe it or not! Oh, and no one has guessed any of his breeds correctly yet!

Contest: Guess Cora’s Secondary Breed!

The results from DNA My Dog are in! We now know the breeds that make up Cora and Dusty. We’ll get to Dusty next (his results were particularly surprising!). But first, I want to hear your guesses for Cora’s secondary breed.

Cora in her hand-knit sweater

Cora in her hand-knit sweater

We learned that she is at least 81% beagle (no surprise there). But what makes up the remaining 10-19%? Let’s hear your guesses! I have three hints for you:

  1. She’s not 100% hound.
  2. Her secondary breed is a dog bred for retrieving and comes in various sizes.
  3. She looks nothing like her secondary breed, so you’ve got your work cut out for you!

I’ll give you until Sunday at noon to post your guesses in the Comments section or by emailing me at threedogs@wordwitlox.com. All correct guesses will be put into a draw, and the winner will get a custom hand-knit sweater, like the one Cora is wearing in this picture, or a donation in your name to the animal charity of your choice!

I can’t wait to share the answer with you, but I’m going to have to. Check back here or on our Facebook page Sunday afternoon or evening for the answer!